sábado, 30 de abril de 2011

A different Africa

Maputo is my entry point to lusophone Africa. Up to this moment, I had only been to Northern Africa and to English-speaking sub-Saharan Africa. But the feeling in Mozambique is very different.

The urban planning and design immediately strikes familiar chords in my heart. This actually looks and feels like the world that I am most acquainted with. The streets have side walks and are green with exuberant trees. The common architecture looks strangely familiar. Food is simple, very natural, extremely tasty.

Below the surface, the feeling of the spirit and culture resembles all I have lived and thrived in. The respectful dress code, so common among Latins. The tradition of good, real lunches--as opposed to sandwiches or salads. And the ease of long, pleasant and cherished conversations in small coffee shops.

I have only had a first glimpse of Maputo. But this is a place to come back to.

No hay comentarios: