sábado, 27 de febrero de 2010

My spiritual homeland...

I have felt for a long time now that my spiritual homeland is Africa. Within the vast continent, South Africa is the country to which I have been more times, and Cape Town the place to which I come back once and again. My mum used to say that in another life I must have been a black girl (she would tell me that when I was still a girl...:) I have to say that I concur with her. It feels so good to be here.

My friends and family who have not had the chance to be here have always asked me what it is that makes Cape Town so special. I think that it is the light. The light is different here than in other places. I cannot explain what the difference resides in. But it is breath taking. Its is clear and shiny. Filled with life and color.

The explosion of clarity, intensity and color that the Capetonian light brings about is one of the sensations I most long for when I know that I will be coming here. I have been here for a week, locked up in a room working, at meetings, cranky and dark. But yesterday, when we finally got a chance to go outside, and take in the air, the sun, the light, life was good again. It made me wonder what we have done to ourselves through progress...

No hay comentarios: