jueves, 3 de febrero de 2011

The social network...

After seeing that the Social Network has been nominated and won a series of awards, I definitely wanted to see it. Located at Harvard, it depicts a story that, in terms of its cybernetic hallmarks, would have been impossible to imagine when I was dreaming about studying at the John F. Kennedy School of Government. The greed, competition and drive to excel, if possible by stepping on others, is as old as humanity.

To think that exactly that was the environment that I wanted to be in, seems unreal. The Colmex certainly qualifies. And it wasn't that much fun. But it didn't seem to be enough. I was convinced that if I wanted to be successful, outstanding, and compensate for "years of powerlessness", I needed to be far beyond average, top of the top. Of course I wanted to go to Harvard--nowhere else.

The one piece that did not really match with my theory is my dislike of elitism. The arrogance, detachment and stupid vanity of social, economic and political elites makes me want to throw up. As the racoon says, I have the gene of rebellion hardwired into my brain, blood, heart and soul.
Ultimately, this gene made me take a sharp turn, trash the Harvard dream, and go down a different path. Looking back, there might be no other detour as important as this one in my life. The ride has been fantastic!

And just to close the subject... I don't think that The Social Network has anything extraordinary in it. It is, quite frankly, average.

2 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

Snap! I just saw the movie on the plane as well and thought it was perfectly boring.

Mind you, spending a few days at last week did play with my mind and heart. Check out the latest at nextsmallstep.com

A

EmergentMadonko dijo...

If you want to read another interesting commentary on the movie check out Zadie's Smith (of On Beauty fame) critique.
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/nov/25/generation-why/?pagination=false

I still have not seen it.
T