domingo, 4 de julio de 2010

I am totally hooked...

...on Stieg Larsson's novels. I have the first two down, but now I am missing the third one, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest, and I will have to wait til mid June to go to DC, buy it and read it in English.

It is strange how these books have made me think about pieces that I have wanted to conceal and have chosen to forget... All these Swedish settings just made me remember that I had my own nick name in Swedish, when I was a little girl. Lila Kik, they used to call me. I recognize some of the places mentioned, and images of those long summer nights in Sweden flash back. Vati would have devoured these novels! Mutti would have hated them.

Even when we choose not to acknowledge it, we are the inevitable sum of our histories, be it personal history, family history or genetic history. I have always believed that we can erase parts of it, conceal them, because I became used to reinvent myself every time I would feel tight in my own skin. I hadn't realized that now that life is no longer a dark place, it might be interesting to revisit those rooms I locked off a long time ago.

Mmmmmh. Thinking about it...

1 comentario:

Eminencia Gris dijo...

The maturity to look back without the danger of turning into a pillar of salt cannot be wasted. Like the slogan of an unavoidable brand says: "Just do it!". Te quiero y admiro, lagartija.